Friday, September 14, 2012

Black Beans and Rice {Foodie Friday}


Beans, beans the miracle fruit, the more you eat
..well you know how it goes… I have never been a big bean person. In fact, I didn’t want anything to do with beans unless they were green or baked. Since getting married, DH has tried to get me to eat foods that I would not normally touch and beans are one of the more recent items that I am starting to grow fond of. I don’t love beans by any means (haha that rhymes!) but I am much more accepting now. We put them in enchiladas, tacos, and quesadillas—anytime I need a little extra filler they are great to throw in.
I made these as a side to tacos and they were so good that I made them again that weekend. They can be a side dish or the whole meal by themselves. The rice to beans ratio was a little off for me. I originally made half the bean recipe and 1 cup of rice, but had way too much rice. I have adjusted the amounts in the recipe below. Enjoy!


Black Beans and Rice


*Serves 3


INGREDIENTS:
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup onion, finely chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 (16-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used Red Gold fiesta tomatoes with lime and cilantro)
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 cup rice--(measure before you cook) steamed

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft and tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, oregano and water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a tablespoon or two of hot water to thin to desired consistency.

Stir in the fresh cilantro and season with salt and pepper; discard the bay leaf. Serve over the hot rice.

Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment