Friday, December 21, 2012

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies {Foodie Friday}

I’m always on the lookout for a great new dessert. While I was perusing the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook I knew I had to make these ASAP. I started out rolling them and cutting them into snowflakes. It worked well, but just took a long time and resulted in lots of cookies. I pulled out the new cookie pans that my aunt got me and just pushed the dough in. It worked great and was fast, but resulted in significantly fewer cookies (which was good, because DH and I ended up eating almost all of them!)

These are basically just chocolate sugar cookies, but DH says they taste better if you think of them as brownies. I don’t care what you call them, I call them delicious. I will be making them again for Christmas and many other events to come. Make sure you have milk on hand, because you will need a big glass of milk with these cookies….oh man, now the three of us are hungry again ;)


Brownie Roll-Out Cookies


3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat oven at 350° degrees.  Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. (It does disappear once baked, though, so don’t overly fret if they go into the oven looking white.) Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Source: Smitten Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment