Friday, January 18, 2013

Creamed Eggs on Toast {Foodie Friday}


Photo Updated 4.22.14

Remember when I said that my DH has gotten me to eat lots of new things? Well this is one of them. He used to talk about having creamed eggs all the time when we were dating. I was completely repulsed. I don't know what even convinced me to eat them, but I'm glad I did. Now I am the one who suggests we have this most of the time. We love this for breakfast or dinner. Go out on a limb and try it. It's good, I promise!


Creamed Eggs on Toast


Serves: 3

Ingredients:

6 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
about 2 cups milk
6 slices of toast

Directions:
Make hard boiled eggs by putting the eggs in a saucepan with cold water to cover.

Bring to a full, rolling boil, cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Cool eggs by putting them in cold water and change the water frequently.

When eggs are cool, peel and cut them in half.

In a saucepan, melt two tablespoons butter over medium heat. Then add 2 tablespoons flour and stir until evenly combined. Let the butter and flour mixture simmer for a few minutes, but you do not let it turn brown, so lower the heat accordingly. Then gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

As the mixture is simmering, it will thicken, so keep stirring.

It should have a gravy-like consistency, so add more milk if necessary, then turn the heat down to low. Add the chopped eggs and stir to combine.

Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over toast.

Source: DH’s grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment