Friday, May 10, 2013

Santa Fe Enchilada Bake {Foodie Friday}

Sometimes the best recipes happen by accident. My sister was coming for dinner and wanted to make Mexican Lasagna.
All the Mexican lasagna recipes I had contained a lot of ingredients that I don’t normally have on hand. I just happened to pull out the bag of Mexican cheese I had and saw this recipe. I tweaked it a bit to make it more lasagnaish and less enchiladaish. It didn’t set up very well like a lasagna, but it was sooo good. I really liked the addition of the black beans. You could even leave out the chicken if you wanted to go meatless. AND if you’re really adventurous, then you could leave out the chicken and just eat it as a dip with chips. Oh boy, now I am hungry again.

One Year Ago: Banana Pancakes


Santa Fe Enchilada Bake


1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 each large onion and green pepper, chopped (green peppers are always optional, and I leave them out ;)
2 cups salsa (I used a small can of enchilada sauce and a can of diced tomatos)
1 pkg (10oz ) frozen corn, thawed and drained
2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
12 corn tortillas (6 inch)
1 cup sour cream
1 ½ cups Mexican style shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook and stir chicken, onions and peppers in large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat 10 min. or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in beans, salsa and corn.
Arrange 6 tortillas on bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish; cover with layers of ½ each chicken mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers; cover with foil.
Bake 40 min. or until heated through, removing foil after 30 min. Let stand 5 min.

Adapted from: Kraft Recipes


4 comments:

  1. Yum!

    Love your blog!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party.
    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-2.html
    The party opens Thursday night and closes on Wednesday night at midnight.

    Please, invite your friends to party too! The more the merrier!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy! Looks like a good dinner. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete