Friday, May 31, 2013

Strawberry Pecan Shortcakes {Foodie Friday}


Well it seems as though we skipped spring here in central Indiana and went straight to summer. It’s kind of a bummer because I really like the coolness of spring, not too cold, not too hot. Now it’s starting to just be hot.
And I can’t complain about that either because I have terrible allergies in the spring. Seriously terrible. I guess I just have to learn to be content with where I am.

Oh, you came here to read about strawberry shortcake, did you? Hmmm.. You see how terrible that picture is, it’s because I had about 10 seconds to take a picture before it got scarfed down by the two crazy strawberry lovers I live with. Better luck next time.

This shortcake recipe is one I made for the first time shortly after DH and I were married, and I am telling you I don’t think he has stopped talking about it since. I grew up eating shortcake on angel food or pound cake. This was a big change for me, and I was a slow adopter. Now I have learned to love the biscuit-y texture of these shortcakes, and I really think that the nuts give it so much more!!

As for the whipped cream, I will never go back to the store bought stuff. It is so quick and easy to make and it tastes better than anything at the store.

One Year Ago: Cream Cheese Chicken and Vegetable Soup



Strawberry Pecan Shortcakes



Ingredients

5 -6 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
½ cup Walnuts or pecans

Directions
1.     In a medium bowl, stir together the sliced strawberries and 1/4 of the cup sugar; set aside.
2.     In another medium bowl, stir together the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, and orange peel. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Stir in the 1/2 cup walnuts.
3.     Drop the dough into 8 to 10 mounds on an ungreased baking sheet; flatten each mound slightly with the back of the spoon. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer shortcakes to a wire rack; cool about 10 minutes.
4.     Using a sharp serrated knife, cut each shortcake in half horizontally. Carefully lift off top layers. Place bottom layers on individual plates or in dessert dishes. Spoon half of the strawberries and Whipped Cream over bottom layers. Replace shortcake tops. Top with any remaining Whipped Cream and spoon remaining strawberries around the shortcake. If you like, sprinkle with additional walnuts and garnish with a whole strawberry. Serve immediately. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Whipped Cream

Ingredients

1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

1.     Chill a medium mixing bowl and beaters of an electric mixer. In chilled bowl beat cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.

Source: Midwest Living



1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous treat! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete