Friday, February 21, 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup {Foodie Friday}

Are you tired of winter yet? To be honest, I don't mind the snow so much as the cold, but this winter is trying my patience. It finally warmed up a bit yesterday, but the weather man is already saying that it won't last.
We didn't get much snow or cold last winter so I suppose this is just pay back. I kind of like being snowed in, curled up on the couch with a bowl of soup. Whatever, that's a lie. I don't get snowed in really, now that I have the glorious ability to work from home and I would never eat soup on the couch. Too risky. But it paints a much better picture than sitting at the table eating soup while working, right?


One Year Ago: Sugar Saucers
Two Years Ago: Baked Doughnuts


Chicken Noodle Soup


Ingredients
2 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb carrots, chopped
6 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 bay leaf
10 cups chicken broth or stock
2-4 cups water, if needed
12 oz dried kluski extra thick egg noodles
3 cups shredded chicken (I used 10 chicken tenders)
freshly ground salt and pepper
1 TB parsley (use fresh if you have it)


Directions
You can cook your chicken however you want, but I cooked mine in 2 cups of chicken broth in my crockpot. I put it in for about an hour on high. While the chicken is cooking warm the olive oil in a large saucepan on the stove. Cook the garlic, onion, carrot and celery over medium heat for about 6 minutes-til they are soft, not brown. While the vegetables cook, transfer the chicken to a kitchen aid mixer to shred it (or do it by hand). Put the chicken back into the crockpot with the broth and add the vegetables, chicken broth and some water. Put the crockpot on low for about 4 hours until the vegetables are soft. Add the noodles last and turn the crock pot to high for about 30 minutes. Once the noodles are cooked, turn the crockpot to warm and season to taste. Mine took all day, because I had that long, but you can speed up or slow down the process as you desire. You also don't have to make this in a crockpot, but this makes a lot of soup and my largest pot was not big enough to hold it all! 
This makes at least 12 servings.

Adapted from: Tyler Florence

I'm linking up at: Your homebased momThirty Handmade Days The Best Blog RecipesTatertots and JelloWhipperberry Buns in My OvenToday’s Creative BlogDesign, Dining and DiapersIheartnaptimeHome Stories A to Z Home-StyledReal CoakeCreate, Craft, LoveMostlyhomemade momSix Sisters’ StuffA Peek into My ParadiseA Bowl Full of LemonsLove Grows Wild and Shabby Creek Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment